TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

This gorgeous bracelet was a gift from my Aunt who would've been over 100 years old if she were still with us. I found one on-line with exact same fancy base & glass stones but without all of the leaves and decoration. There was no helpful info on that one. I had a part of the clasp replaced as it broke but all else is original. I am looking for an age, possible maker & what kind of metal. There are no marks at all, unfortunately.

Views: 147

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Linda,

1. Era: Late 1930s through 1940s.

2. Style: Victorian Revival. This style was a departure from the earlier Art Deco style. It was inspired by the movie Gone With The Wind released in 1939. The costume jewelry manufacturers had been busy a couple of years before then to introduce Victorian Revival in jewelry and fashions. Basically an enlarged interpretation of authentic Victorian styles. For the movie the jewelry was extra large so the audience could see it.Other contermporary movies, notably The Heiress with Olivia de Havilland, also showed Victorian Revival styles.

3. Maker(s): Take your pick. Any of the Providence, Rhode Island and/or Massachusetts factories could have produced it. If it didn't have a signature or stamp of the maker, it was "unsigned." It means that it was usually sold in finer specialty stores where the store didn't want the maker identified. It was not good for their markup if the same piece could be ID'd by maker in department stores around the town selling it for less. Better costume jewelry therefore only sported paper hang tags, i.e., Made Expressly for *** [Store]. Yours is obviously one such. It's a common misinterpretation of maker's stamps that the jewelry is "better" when signed. The opposite can also be true.

4. Materials: Gilt stamped brass, glass "rhinestones", originating in Austria, Germany, Czechoslovakia, and/or France. Many early refugees from those countries, fleeing the war threat, brought their stashes of glass stones with them to be able to get ready cash on arrival in the U.S. Regular imports had stopped because of the war so the U.S. manufacturers welcomed the discreet sales of genuine rhinestones from refugees. In Providence, RI, there are still outlets carrying more "leftover" uncirculated vintage stones, popular with restorers and crafters.

5. Value: I never discuss that because it depends on so many things. Condition (yours is broken), selling venue, desirability by collectors.

If you get it repaired you could enjoy it yourself for one, or, two, get a better price if you want to sell it.

6. Where to research prices: eBay, Completed Auctions, SOLDS. Search words; "Victorian Revival bracelets"

Check also Google IMAGES for look-alikes to yours, follow links there to more information about them.

Lovely bracelet!  Good Luck,

Liz

Abundance of info, Liz! The bracelet has been repaired and photo showed new clasp. I just put the broken part in the pics as a potential clue.  The bracelet I found on-line without all the leaves & pinecones had an asking price of $500 but was dropped it to $350. I love it & wear it often. Not selling it but would be interested in just how much the intricacy of this one ups the value. I can't thank you enough for your very complete response! :) 

RSS

SPONSORED

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

© 2017   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service