On Facebook -JOIN I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles.
Here is the link for the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/
Please join our FB group where YOU can post directly.

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Okay now we have an advertising collectibles booth, been open a few hours and we don't have any members.

I went and borrowed a little from one of my web pages to get the ball rolling.

I've always had an interest in old general stores, hardware stores etc. and wish that I had gotten my act together years ago to recreate an old general store, but well I didn't. But I do have a small collection of advertising tins and old kitchenware scattered about the house. So I guess I sorta got my wish in a smaller scale.

Advertising tins have been around for hundreds of years. Made to hold items like coffee, candy, tobacco and many other items. They also come in many sizes, I think the smallest I've every had was a Bell-ans for Indigestion, Vest pocket tin. 3/4 x 1" in size. Advertisng tins were also made in many different shapes. Cigarettes came in rectangular shaped tins, many tea tins are square. Figural tins in numerous shapes, everything from animals to cars, are hard to come across.

Coffee tins are also a nice colorful collectible and great to hold things, Band-Aid tins are also pretty neat. Maybe you have an old printers tray, many small advertising tins are available to fill it. Collectible medicine and other drugstore related tins are also very interesting. Some of the harder tins to find are the one that old razors came in, the earlier oyster tins are also tough to come by. Vintage advertising tins can run from a couple of dollars up to thousands for some of the rarest tins. Just recently an Austin Powder Co. Blasting Cap tin sold for over $10,000 at auction.

Advertising tins, because of their original use, often have scratches, dents, even a little rust, so don't let a few imperfections scare you off. But like most collectibles the nicer they are the more desirable. Many of the more recent tins are also collectible, more for the look than the value. But beware of repos of the older tins. Actually the newer type tins are collectible but are priced accordingly.

Maybe you would be interested in creating a small version of a general store, drugstore, hardware store in a corner of the house, a spare room, basement or garage. It can be done and you can control the size, of course it will out grown the space if you really get into it.

Okay, see ya in the morning.
Country Joe

Views: 6133

Replies to This Discussion

Nothing more nostalgic that re-creating an old fashioned drugstore to show off your advertising collectibles! Anyone out there accomplished this?

Decks Pharmacy Museum

Now, this is VERY cool! Oklahoma Barn Market: Furniture and Advertising Collectibles.

Here's a pic of Joe's smallest tin he mentioned, a Bell-ans for Indigestion, Vest pocket tin. 3/4 x 1" in size. And lots more medicine tins on Etsy!

VINTAGE BEER COLLECTIBLES is a website dedicated to the collecting and selling of antique brewery and brewing advertising from the late 1800�s to the mid 1900�s.  Breweriana from this period includes beer trays, tip trays, tin litho signs, porcelain signs, reverse glass signs, lights, tap knobs, and many other interesting and unique items advertising beer from the companies that made them. 

The Antique Advertising Expert

Check it out! This site features antique advertising collectibles in many popular categories including Breweriana, Soda, Coffee, Whiskey, Tobacciana, Dairy, Wine and Bakery.  Some of the vintage items are porcelain advertising signs, brewery steins, mugs, soda and milk bottles. Other advertising collectibles are calendars, clocks, coffee bins, tobacco tins, serving trays, syrup dispensers, stoneware whiskey jugs, wooden crates, biscuit tins, thermometers and more.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2021   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service