On Facebook -JOIN I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles.
Here is the link for the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/
Please join our FB group where YOU can post directly.

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

The Lone Ranger MINI Tin Lunchbox Cheerios 2001

The Lone Ranger Miniature Tin Lunchbox

The world of Vintage Miniature Advertising Collectibles is vast! It covers so many categories - with each one full of information, dedicated collectors and collector conventions and opportunities to display and purchase.

The Glass Menagerie Antiques & Collectibles
wrote on this topic...

"The world of Miniature Collectibles is a complex and diverse subject as there are considerable differences in what someone believes falls into the true miniature collectible category.

During the mid 19th Century, detailed miniatures were created by factories to assist the travelling salesmen.  Everything from hand-crafted furniture, cast iron cook stoves, china & glass, the ice-box, even automobiles and farm implements were used in the advertising and selling of wares across North America.

As time progressed and salesmen samples were no longer required, more modern Miniatures came to be known as those small-scale creations by factories to give evidence of the fine craftsmanship both as a useful doll-house item or toys for children, but also representing the times of old in a vintage or antique model.   This included hand-crafted furniture patterned after Chippendale and early Americana to small-scale cut crystal and molded glass sets exactly like mother's.  And of course there was fine porcelain like the Limoges hand-crafted and hand decorated detailed Miniatures. 

Vintage!!! 1930's Crescent Cast Iron Salesman Stove

1930's Miniature Crescent Cast Iron Stove

Do you love vintage miniature advertising collectibles? What is your favorite category?

Views: 587

Replies to This Discussion

Miniature Grain Elevator Bank - advertising collectible

"Almost all gone forever are the majestic Grain Elevators that once dotted the Canadian Prairies. For collectors of this subject, we have an old "five and dime" plastic bank. The contents is Wheat once grown and housed in the Elevators waiting for transport to other parts of the world."The Glass Menagerie

I collect miniature aprons and bonnets advertising sewing machines.  I just posted an article that I wrote for Paper & Advertising Collectors' Marketplace back in Jan.2011 to mypage PACM article on Sewing Machine Advertising .  I retain the rights to this article.  I also have some photos of mini-sewing machine advertising aprons posted on mypage:  1935 Singer advertising mini-apron, 1893 Davis Sewing machine advertising mini-apron, and ca. 1900 Domestic sewing machine advertising mini-apron.

Very cool photos! I still have never seen the sewing machine advertising aprons anywhere else!

They are very rare (mostly not expensive, but rare).  I have been collecting them almost 10 years and have only seen about 13 different ones.  I have 11; there were 2 that got away.  I have also seen 2 others that duplicate ones in my collection.  For most of them I paid about $10.  However, I did pay $30 for the 1893 World's Fair one and one of the 2 that got away was on a china doll that sold at a big-name auction house for over $200.

What about advertising antique pocket mirrors? Here's a reference book to guide your collection...

Antique Pocket Mirrors: Pictorial and Advertising Miniatures by Cyn...

"This delightful compendium of American pocket mirrors showcases more than 500 miniature treasures of early 20th century design. Small celluloid round, oval, and rectangular mirrors were designed as advertising premiums, giveaways, favors, mementos of weddings and anniversaries, souvenirs from historic sites, and so on. Today they are greatly admired for their exquisitely designed graphics, charming Victorian language, and romanticized--indeed often humorous--depiction of commercial products. Organized by subject matter, these colorful mirrors feature period advertising, political and patriotic themes, babies and children, beautiful women, portraiture, brides and grooms, historic sites, transportation, farm machinery and tools, and much more. Many icons of advertising are represented, including Coca Cola, Pepsi, Hires Root Beer, Lydia Pinkham's Pills, RCA Victor, even early Pop Art examples from Campbell's Soup! A history of pocket mirrors, manufacturer information, value guide, and tips for determining authenticity are all provided. Collectors, artists, devotees of advertising history, designers, and students will all appreciate these diminutive gems of graphic design."

Having grown up in Texas, I remember these little advertising miniature cotton bales! Usually, they advertised the cotton gin in different areas. Here's one advertising a cotton buyer.

Sweeney's Emporium

Isn't this cute? Vintage Salesman Miniature Hat Sample with little hat box and everything!

During the mid 19th Century, detailed miniatures were created by factories to assist the travelling salesmen.  Everything from hand-crafted furniture, cast iron cook stoves, china & glass, the ice-box, even automobiles and farm implements were used in the advertising and selling of wares across North America.

What do old trains and Old Forester Bourbon have in common?? Advertising!

LOOK!

I love these! Miniature bottles, branded for specific train companies. I’m sure there’s a subset of railroad collectors who would be overjoyed to find a cache of these somewhere.

Old Forester Bourbon Personalized 1950

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2020   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service