On Facebook -JOIN I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles.
Here is the link for the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/
Please join our FB group where YOU can post directly.

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Good morning! This is my first time posting in this forum, so if I do something wrong, have grace with me lol. I bought this at an auction not knowing exactly what it was, but I couldn't let it go with no bids, so I got it for $5. The frame alone is worth that. It's a piece of art from Hamilton Brown Shoe Company and that's about all I know. It doesn't look like a print as there's some texture beneath the glass, but it's definitely not a painting. Curious if it's a repro or an original. Also worth noting, someone paid a pretty penny to have it custom framed, so not thinking it's junk, but who knows? Thoughts! TIA!

Views: 315

Replies to This Discussion

Melanie, you posted just right!! I hope someone knows the answer to your questions but no matter, like you said - its a beautiful piece of art in a beautiful frame!

I did find a similar one that says 1904 Hamilton Brown ShoeCo Advertising. It calls it a Lithograph Print or suggests it may be a serigraph print.  It is not in a frame and was listed for $109 starting bid.

Thank you so much for your reply! I did scour the net looking for examples of repros, but I didn't find anything which leads me to be somewhat hopeful that it's real!

Surely it is! If you are selling it online, just describe your conclusions and put it out there. For a $5 investment, you are certainly going to turn a profit. :)

Hi Melanie.  Sorry for this late post.  This is a beautiful Victorian advertising image.  You can get a pretty good idea as to whether it is real or a repro by inspecting the print with a 10X magnifying glass or loupe.  If it is genuine, there will be very irregularly shaped "blobs" of color making up the colors and images.   If it is a later reproduction, it will be made up of smaller, more round dots of color, arranged in symmetrical rows or patterns.  Given the likely date of this image, 1904, as Ellen indicated below, and I would agree with from the style, it should be one of those two extremes, irregular random "blobs" (genuine) or smaller symmetrical dots (repro). 

For reference purposes, you may find other prints with color dots somewhere in between those two descriptions, for example, smaller irregular blobs of color that are arranged more symmetrically.  That would indicate a production date somewhere between the turn of the 20th century and around 1930, when modern printing methods came about.  The larger and more irregular the color blobs are, the closer it would be to 1900 or before and the smaller and more symmetrical the color dots are, the closer it is to 1930 or so. By the 1930's or '40's pretty much all printing looked like today's newspaper images with tiny lined up dots of color.  

Hope this isn't too late to be helpful. 

Thanks, Paul, for your expertise on this topic!! Might help someone in the future for sure.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2020   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service