On Facebook -JOIN I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles.
Here is the link for the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/
Please join our FB group where YOU can post directly.

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Having posted the Advertising icons used to promote the various brands back in the 70's yesterday, I realized there are more out there down through the years and thought it worthy of its own discussion thread.

So...this is the place to post your ads, collections and information about advertising icons!

Views: 810

Replies to This Discussion

This venerable ad icon was originally an afterthought, one of three substitute ideas that agency W. Ayer & Co. pitched in case the company rejected 12 others. But Morton fell in love with the girl from the beginning. The "When It Rains It Pours" campaign made its debut in 1914 became a classic.

Ad Age

Miss Chiquita - This "First Lady of Fruit," as Chiquita calls her, was originally drawn as an animated banana in 1944. She became human in 1987, when artist Oscar Grillo, who also spawned the Pink Panther, gave her new life, reflecting the "image the public had of Miss Chiquita as a real person," according to the company.

On the female advertising icons, here's a few. Which ones do you remember? A couple of them we've already shown below...

Top 10 Female Product Icons

"From Tony The Tiger to the Michelin Man, every pop culture kid is exposed to product advertising mascots and icons. Most of these critters are male, but sometimes — especially with baking and food products — the icons are female. Or were female. An image of "Betty Crocker" used to be on boxes of cake mix; now her face has been replaced by a spoon. And most advertisers would prefer to use celebrities to shill their products these days. But have you ever thought about what would happen if some of the best-loved advertising characters were replaced by Hollywood stars? We have. The top ten female product advertising icons and the actresses the casting agents could choose to replace them, after the jump."

Land O Lakes Indian Maiden

The Top 10 Female Product Advertising Icons & The Actresses Who Could Replace Them

The company explains: "Because the regions of Minnesota and Wisconsin were the legendary land of Hiawatha and Minnehaha, the idea of an Indian maiden took form." This is a whitewashed way of describing how they hijacked the image of indigenous people to sell dairy products, but whatever. The first painting was done in 1928; it was "modernized" in 1939 to look the way it does now. As a kid, I honestly thought that this was my mom until I realized it was Cher.

Mrs. Butterworth
The Top 10 Female Product Advertising Icons & The Actresses Who Could Replace Them

This woman was not always made of plastic. She used to be real glass. She had a bun and she was heavy and sweet and you respected her, because she didn't need (the noticeably absent) Mr. Butterworth to get the job done.

Product Ad Icon

SunMaid

The young woman on the raisin box has evolved since 1916. She's lost about 20 lbs., but she still has the red bonnet and the basket of grapes. And she still smiles.

Little Miss Sunbeam

This blond-haired blue-eyed little girl was on the table before wheat and oats crept into our sandwich bread. Little Miss Sunbeam was born in the 1940s, and she seems part Shirley Temple, part Doris Day and part Buffy and Jody from Family Affair. Or Cindy Brady. An "American Girl" full of "sunshine"…

Betty Crocker

Created in 1921 for Gold Medal flour, this fictitious kitchen expert by 1945 was voted the second-most famous women in America, trailing only Eleanor Roosevelt, Fortune reported that year. Now overseen by General Mills, Betty is as relevant as ever, with her own recipe website and a Facebook page with 1.8 million likes.

Female Icons

Rosie the Riveter

Rosie was the star of the classic campaign to recruit women to the workforce during World War II. Her image was popularized by Norman Rockwell's rendition on the cover of the Saturday Evening Post in 1943. Rosie's spirit lives on today at the Rosie the Riveter/WWII Home Front National Historical Park in Richmond, Calif.

Ok...everyone remembers GUMBY! But did he advertise for anything?? Anyone remember? The site Gumby World said, "Gumby and Art Clokey have a long and interesting history. Backed by more than 50 years of performances in 234 episodes and a movie, Gumby has become a cultural icon. Audiences of all ages have been inspired and entertained by Gumby. People don’t just like Gumby, they say “I LOVE Gumby.” And yet...was Gumby an advertiser or just a toy?

Photo Credit

Which modern advertising icons do you think will stand the test of time to be on a similar discussion in 50 years? Just curious...:)

If there ever was a recognizable vintage advertising icon...it's the Campbell Kids!

Love this 1957 Ad with two of The Campbell Kids stars:

"The Campbell kids invite you to their Birthday Party!"

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2021   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service