I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

I would like some info on this great old woman doll. It's part cloth and the face is some kind of plaster. Back of neck has a small blue round paper tag that says Made in Germany. On the back of cloth body there is writing that says c. 1902. She is 26" tall.

Face is hand-painted. There is a gorgeous old cameo brooch at her neck and she has an old handkerchief pinned to one of her hands.

I can't tell if the clothes and bonnet are antique or new. The shoes look fairly new.

She sits on a handmade patchwork pillow on a wooden rocker that's missing one arm.

Does anyone know the maker, or what material the face is made of?

Thank you!

Rietta

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Tags: chair, doll, germany, lady, mache, old, paper, papier, rocker, rocking, More…snood

Views: 30

Replies to This Discussion

She is a german papier mache doll. The maker will probably be hard to identify- but Germany began using papier mache in the 1880's.  Your best bet is to try your local library to see if they have any antique doll reference books to identify the mark.
Thank you so much, Kathy! Do you have any idea of its value?
Rietta
No I do not, but I saw some from the later 1900's for 2 to 3000. You probably just need to find an antique doll handler in your area and see if you can get her appraised and find out more about her.  I think she's adorable. Good luck!

RSS

Pin on Pinterest

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

© 2014   Created by C. Dianne Zweig

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service