TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Hello, I've collected antique dolls for over 30 years with the exception of China's and have just purchased my first one. It is in need of some repair (which I can do myself) although I'm looking for collectors who may offer some advise on it's repair. What to repair and what to leave as is.  This doll is about 18 inches tall, I'm not sure what kind of hands and feet it may have had and if the body is actually original. Presently it's not in my possession, it's in the mail on it's way to my home so I don't know the maker yet although I suspect he is British in origin. Help and comments are welcome. Thanks. 

Views: 34

Replies to This Discussion

British? Which one have you purchased? Were there any markings on your doll?

I think we need more info here?

Most of the china heads of this era this were made in Germany. They're commonly referred to by the hairstyle that have (low brow, flat top, center part, etc). They were offered as kits that included the head, hands and feet. The bodies and clothing were to be made by the new "mommy", which is why you often find them with rudimentary bodies and clothes. 

Yours appears to be a boy by ABG (Alt, Beck & Gottschalck). They had a very distinctive way of painting. The hands are missing, but that body never had feet. There's no way to know if the body is original or not since they were often replaced when the fabric "wore out", but it is appropriate and correct for the era (long waist with wide hips). 

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

SPONSORED

& Terms of Use

© 2018   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service