5 large whole Spanish onions
2 cups milk
plain bread crumbs
salt and black pepper, to taste
- Peel and slice onions to 1/8 or 1/4 thick. Put in large bowl; pour milk over them (keeps them firm, white, and moist).
- Mix equal amounts flour and bread crumbs in separate bowl until well blended. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Swish heaping handful of onions in flour-bread crumb mixture until coated. Shake off excess.
- Fry in hot, clean oil, stirring occasionally until crispy golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels, blot a bit, and serve hot.