TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Came across this beat up vase at an estate sale. It's seen better days but I still couldn't let it go.

A gold/bronze glaze on a sculpted (I think terracotta) vase with an ivy theme.

The stamp on the bottom is "A H ABBOTT & CO."  I've been told in another discussion that this company sold art supplies out of Chicago in the late 1800's. My research confirms this. I was also told that AH Abbott probably sold it but didn't manufacturer the vase; that maybe an Australian company exported it to Abbott to sell in the U.S.

I also can't find ANY info on "SAXON WARE". 

If anyone could help identify this vase or the manufacture, I would greatly appreciate it!

There is also an ID mark on the side "907".

Thank you!

Views: 80

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I found a lovely little free ebook with some info in it entitled "Origin, growth, and usefulness of the Chicago Board of Trade."

AH Abbott & Co., Importers and Dealers in Artists Materials, started as a company around 1873 in Chicago.

To make a very long story short, your vase was sold to someone as an unfinished "blank" under the name "Saxon Ware", consider it a "House Brand" for Abbott. They also sold  plaques and panels under the same name with the surface already prepped for paint. Whomever purchased it then put the finishing touches on it and from there, who knows where it went.

You can find the ebook here for free download  http://books.google.ca/books?id=jHxQAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA190&lpg=P...

Cheers

thD

Sorry, operating on very little sleep here at the moment. I basically meant that the ebook I found verified what you said so far but I didn't read on to see if there was any more info but just wanted to pass the link along.

Cheers

AMAZING! I failed to consider this was a "paint it at home" type of vase. That makes sense now.

Thank you so much for your help! 

Now go get some sleep.  :)

hehe, will do.

Glad I could be of help.

Cheers,

thd

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

SPONSORED

& Terms of Use

© 2017   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service