On Facebook -JOIN I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles.
Here is the link for the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/
Please join our FB group where YOU can post directly.

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

What Did Your Mother's Kitchen Look Like in The 1940s? Tell Us All about it

Views: 413

Replies to This Discussion

I can remember the ice man coming. He had a one horse wagon and carried in huge chunks of ice with tongs. He'd break off a corner and let us kids suck on pieces. That was heaven in the summer.

A block away the city kept 55 gal drums of tar for road repair. We would go over and break off a piece so we could chew it like gum. It was harmless my Dad said. He also let us chew raw asbestos. We had a big piece of it.  We didn't inhale it. It tastes like paper and you can chew it forever.

We lived about 4 houses from the Union Pacific RR mainline. In the early 40s I would watch whole trains full of tanks, jeeps, trucks, airplanes, small boats, all heading West towards the coast. A couple years later it all came back, heading East. The war was over.

Tom,

I enjoyed reading your recollections, I hope more members share their stories and memories.

Dianne

My mother had a wood burning cook stove  with a 10 gal water heater above it. There was a woodshed attached to the kitchen. It was not insulated and had a dirt floor. My army cot was there.  I had lots of blankets and pj's and mukluks and was warm enough. A couple years later my Dad poured concrete into it and I had a new floor.  He eventually put up paperboard and finished the room.  Then we moved across town into a huge 3 story house, 5 bedrooms, 3 baths...

We got our first tv, an Emerson black and white, in 1952. There was only 1 channel at the time.  Our neighbors got a color tv in 1954 and they let us watch it from the front porch!

Mom bought an instant color tv.  It was a transparent piece of plastic that had 3 colors on it.  The top was sky blue, the middle was beige and the bottom was green.  It worked great if you were watching people walking on grass in the daytime!  It lasted about an hour before it was tossed!

Zendelle, love this ad, keep them coming!
Dianne

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2020   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service