I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Does anyone know when this piece might have been made and it approximate value (just a ballpark)? It is, I believe, an original Felix Tissot vase from Taxco Mexico, approximately 12 inches tall and about 6 inches in diameter in the middle. I have included the mark found on the bottom

Thanks in advance

Views: 1206

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Stan, we here at IAO do not evaluate or appraise objects. As to age a brief research indicates he set up shop in 1956 in Taxco and died in 1989. That would make your vase at least 20 years old and no more than 53 years old. Prior to Taxco, Tissot had a shop in Palmdale, California and a flyer from that shop shows a stoneware vase in the same shape, but not painted fancy like yours.
Looking at various objects of his on Ruby Lane and eBay, his articles are in the $30-500. range. I would guess your vase is worth around $400-500 but I am not an appraiser. It is a very pretty example of stylized art. Hope this helps.
Thank you for your help. I had not been able to find much about its potential worth. I apologize if I breeched protocol by asking for a ballpark appraisal, as I am new to this website. Again thank you for your input. By the way, I picked it up at a consignment shop for $15!!
Stan, If there is a protocol here I have yet to discover it! We are happy to help where and when needed. Great Find, $15.00?
Hi Stan...I posted info on your other post about this piece....Just wanted to say "I" like this vase. Is there any other initials or signatures anywhere else on this piece? I ask this because he hired locals to do art work. Also it looks like a stamped signature. Compare at the bottom of page, the picture fourth row down first picture on the following link.

http://www.digthatcrazyfarout.com/felixtissot/

Just another thought...I evaluate all the time. Some times I will offer an opinion of a valuation which should never be confused with an appraisal which I cannot legally do, as Tom has stated...I am not an appraiser. Everything is usually educated guesses or a bit of experience. Also there actually are certified appraisers on this site. We should not be answering for them as to what they will or will not do.
Thanks for the link. I did see that page before, but I failed to note the entry about local artisans. I will check back and will let you know what I find....if anything. If you or anyone could point me in the direction of an licensed appraiser, I might look into the value of the vase further. I am dying to know..... Thanks again.

Here is a piece from my personal collection. Yours is on the screen in the background, I'm trying to show a stamped comparison and a signature mark.

I did note that another photo I had seen had a signed mark as opposed to the stamped mark. Have you seen any others with the 'stamped' mark?

Thanks
I've been looking, not yet. What I'm trying to determine from a collectors point of view is:
!.) Are these still being made today? (After death in 1989)
2.) If so, are they simply "stamping" them?....Wouldn't the value be greater earlier on in this line? say 1956 or 1956 to 1989 at his death.(usually so)
3.) Isn't the price usually determined by Rarity, quality. age, condition?
4.) Were any of this line actually done by his own hand? Where they all done by Chitilan Artist?

We know that::
Mark for artist
Mark for Finish Sander
Mark for Glazier

Is there a record for who these artist are or were? Also from when? Should be records somewhere.

Determining these factors could add or detract from the value...or at least what I would be willing to pay for something.
These links cover the important information on your vase:
Maker, location, etc.
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=history+of+felix+tissot+Taxco&...
Use this link and pagedown to "Tissot" where the history of the company is explained:

Home / Dinnerware Search Hill House Wares

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dinnerware
I specialize in California pottery companies such as Franciscan, Denwar, Metlox, Winfield and Vernonware; however, I do offer a some pieces of Blue Ridge, Red Wing, McCoy, Harker, Hull, Lenox and others. I have started offering some English patterns from the Wedgwood Consortium (which recently filed for bankruptcy) as well as Royal Doulton, Spode and Royal Worcester. I also have a selection of Noritake Progression patterns. Although used, the dinnerware pieces generally show little wear and tear. Most of the U.S. manufacturers listed have gone out of business so their patterns are getting harder and harder to find. Franciscan potteries had several lines of glassware; such as Madeira manufactured by Tiffin and Cabaret, by Fostoria. Look for these under the name of the manufacturer in Glassware. I do have some of the English Desert Rose glassware and that is listed under Dinnerware/Franciscan/Desert Rose (Eng).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adams
Adams is an English dinnerware firm. They are a part of the Wedgwood Group.

Adderley
Adderley is an English China manufacturer that has been in business since the early 1900s. Unfortunately, that is about all I know about the company.

Anchor Hocking
Anchor Hocking Company was born of a merger of the Hocking Glass Company and Anchor Cap & Closure Corporation in 1937. The company is still in production today as a divison of Global Home Products with its headquarters located in Lancaster, Ohio. You will find items from the Fire King line listed separately. Look for items under dinnerware, barware, houseware, kitchenware and glassware.

Arcopol
Arcopol is one of the brand names of ARC International (Luminarc, Cris d'Arques and Mikasa are three others).

Arcoroc
I don't know much about Arcoroc other than it is a French Company that produces glassware. I believe it is also a part of ARC International.

Arthur Court Designs
Arthur Court started his business in the San Francisco Bay Area in 1966. Together with his wife, Elena, they operate a successful business featuring exotic designs in metalware.

Arzberg
Arzberg is a German porcelain company known for its fine china.

Ashley
Ashley is a company that produces dinnerware in Tangshan, China.

Avon
Starting in 1886 as the California Perfume Company, Avon has grown to be one of the country's largest home-to-home selling businesses. In fact, today it is the world's largest manufacturer and distributor of cosmetics, perfumes and costume jewelry. I have a large selection of beer steins that can be found in "Barware". I carry other items in Dinnerware, Housewares, Glassware and Miscellanous.

Aynsley China
Aynsley China has been around since the late 1800s. This English china company is located in the Staffordshire area and produces some of the finest English china.

Bauer
Bauer is another well-recognized name in California pottery. First known as Bauer Pottery and then as J.A. Bauer Pottery Company, Inc., the firm was located in Los Angeles, CA from 1909 until it closed in 1962. Perhaps the most popular Bauerware are the bowls. I carry a few of them. I also carry a few items by J. Herb Brusche, who worked at Bauer and designed some of their items. Find pieces from his company listed separately under his last name.

Bavaria
I somehow doubt that "Bavaria" is the name of the manufacturer but that is what is on the backstamp.

Bernardaud & Co. Limoges
Limoges, France is known for its fine porcelain companies. Bernardaud & Co. is just one of those manufacturers. So far I have only come across this lovely cider pitcher.

Blair Ceramics
William H. Blair founded Blair Ceramics in Ozark, Missouri in the early 1940s. He became well-known for his innovative square dinnerware although he also designed patterns for the traditional round form.

Blue Ridge
Blue Ridge Pottery was the product of Southern Potteries, Inc. of Erwin Tennesse. The company produced hand-decorated pottery from 1917 to 1957. In the early years, this pottery was also known as Clinchfield Pottery. Collectors are still finding and recording patterns heretofore unknown. I have several books on Blue Ridge but I am always looking to identify the unknown patterns that I list. I have pieces from forty identifed patterns and a few unknowns that are listed under their shape. Blueridge is often confused with Stetson and Marcrest, two companies that often produced similar patterns. Most Blueridge pieces are marked.

British Anchor
British Anchor Pottery Company, Ltd was in business from 1884 until sometime in the 1970s. It was located in Longton, England.

Brock
Southern California Pottery Company, Inc. aka B. J. Brock Company was located in Lawndale, California. Founded n 1947 by Bert Brock, the company closed in the mid 1950s. What I find unique about most of Brock's dinnerware are the unusual shapes of the accessory pieces.

Brusche
The name Brusche is nearly synonymous with Bauer pottery. J. Herb Brusche worked at Bauer Potteries around the same time he had his own pottery company. He also had his own line of pottery at Bauer.

Buffalo Pottery
The Buffalo Pottery Company is located in Buffalo, NY. It has been in business since 1901 and is a major producer of industrial/hotel/restaurant dinnerware.

Canonsburg
Canonsburg Pottery was located in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania and in operation from 1901 to 1978. Their patterns are difficult to identify since the pattern names are not always marked on the backstamp.

Castleton
The history of Castleton China began in 1901 with the Shenango and New Castle Pottery Companies in New Castle, Pennsylvania. "Castleton China, Inc." began manufacturing china in 1939. The company produced fine china until about 1970.

Cemar
Cemar Potteries was founded in 1935 by two former employees of Bauer, Paul Cauldwell and C. J. Malone. In 1955 the Cemar molds were acquired by Bauer.

Churchill
Churchill China Company is an English firm with roots dating back over 100 years. It is actually several companies in one. Dinnerware produced by the 4 factories can be marked either, James Adler, Queens, Dining In or Churchill. So far I just have four patterns bearing the Churchill name.

Continental Kilns
Continental Kilns was a relatively short-lived company that began in Chester, West Virginia in 1944. Their china featured floral and leave motifs. The company went out of business in 1957. I don't come across too many of their products.

Coors Porcelain
Coors Porcelain began as the Herold China and Pottery Company in 1910. It became Coors Porcelain in 1920 and still in operation in Golden, Colorado.

Corning
The Corning Corporation headquarters is located in Corning, New York (go figure!) One of its divisions is the Pyrex Corporation which explains the close relationship between their dinnerware patterns (Corelle) and Pyrex kitchenware. Look for patterns under Pyrex, Corning and James Bradley glassware. We have Corelle items in Dinnerware but look under Pyrex in Kitchenware and Glassware for corresponding patterns.

Crooksville China Company
The Crooksville China Company was in business in Crooksville, Ohio from 1902 to 1959. They were known for their folksy, country-style semi-porcelain dinnerware.

Crown Staffordshire China Co. Ltd.
Crown Staffordshire China was an English manufacturer that began in the early 1800s. They continued production until 1985.

Crownford
Crownford China Company, Inc. is another china company located in Stafforshire, England.

Denwar Ceramics
Denwar Ceramics (aka Denwar Studios) of Costa Mesa, California was formed in 1946 by Esther Sietmann Warner and her husband Jo Dendel (hence: Den-War). Their dinnerware was very popular in the 1950s. In the later years they turned their interests to fiber arts, such as weaving and spinning. This dinnerware is getting more and more popular with collectors. So far I have only been able to find pieces in Thatch, Guinea Gold and Cola Brown. The missing color is Gibi Green.

Edwin M. Knowles
The Edwin M. Knowles China Company was located in West Virginia. The company began in 1900 and ceased production in 1963.

Epoch
I know nothing about Epoch other than it is a Korean dinnerware company. I suspect it has some ties to Jepco beacuse their Whipped Cream patterns are so similiar.

Eschenbach
Eschenbach was a German porcelain company founded in 1906 in Windischeschenbach, Germany. In 2000 the company was bought out by Triptis. In 2004 Triptis filed for bankruptcy, but reopened as a member of an investment group consisting of Eschenbach, Freiberger Hotelporzellan, Triptis and Winterling brands.

Federal Glass
The Federal Glass Company was located in Columbus, Ohio and was one of the major producers of "Depression Glass". It was eventually purchased by Lancaster Colony. Look under Glassware and Kitchenware to find their products. I have quite a few pieces in the Windsor pattern (if you are looking for colored Windsor, look under Indiana Glass).

Fire King
Fire King was a line of the Anchor Hocking Glass Company which began in 1941 and continued into the 1970s. They produced dinner, glass and tableware in numerous patterns and colors but are probably most well-known for their Jade-ite pieces. I offer quite a selection of mugs as well as other items. Pieces are found in Dinnerware, Kitchenware and Glassware.

Fitz and Floyd
Like Lefton and other companies, Fitz and Floyd is a distributor of foreign-made dinnerware. The company is located is Dallas, Texas.

Flintridge China
The Flintridge China Company began in Pasadena, California in 1946. It was acquired by Gorham in 1970. Gorham continued many of the Flintridge patterns for a time so you will find pieces with one or the other backstamps. I have pieces from over thirteen of their patterns but for some reason, patterns are hard to find.

Franciscan
Franciscan Ware, or Franciscan Pottery as it was first named in 1934, was manufactured by Gladding-McBean and Company of Glendale, CA. Scores of different styles and patterns were produced. In 1962 Gladding McBean and Company merged with the Lock Joint Pipe Company and became Interpace. The Franciscan line continued in California until 1984 when the facility at Glendale was closed and all production moved to England (and later some patterns/pieces were produced in Japan, China and Portugal). Several of the older patterns are still being produced in England by various divisions of Waterford Wedgwood but their look and size is slightly different. It is important to note that not all pieces carry the “Franciscan” mark. Unless you are familiar with a particular pattern, you may not recognize it as “Franciscan.” I carry mostly those patterns produced in California but also a few made in England which I list separately. I have pieces from over 130 Franciscan patterns. While some of the English glassware is listed with the English dinnerware, the pieces produced in the USA by Fostoria (Cabaret) and Tiffin (Madeira) are listed under Glassware. I just got in a nice selection of pieces of the Franciscan Wheat pattern. Check out the pieces of Tahiti I recently acquired!

Franconia/Krauthein
Franconia/Krauthein is located in the Selb Bavaria region of Germany. The company was orginally founded in 1884 as Krauthein and Adelberg. Franconia China purchased it around 1945. Both names can be found on the backstamps.

Frankoma
Frankoma Pottery was founded in 1927 by John Frank. The company, still producing pottery, is located in Sapulpa, Oklahoma. Their pottery is made with good old Oklahoma clay and has a distinctive rustic nature about it and very unique shapes. Before 1954, the pottery was made from a tan-colored clay from Ada, Oklahoma. After 1954, they began using a red clay from Sapulpa.

French-Saxon
What began in Sebring, Ohio as the French China Company (circa 1900), eventually turned into the French-Saxon China Company. It was ultimately bought by the Royal China Company in 1984.

Fukagawa
Fukagawa is a Japanese dinnerware company. The china is produced using clay from the Arita region of Japan. I have several pieces of the Silver Lichen pattern which is the pattern I picked for my own fine china.

Furnivals Limited
Furnivals Limited is an English dinnerware manufacturer.

GDA (Chas Haviland)
Gerard, Dufraisseix & Abbot (GDA)had its beginnings in 1900. In 1941 Charles Field Haviland bought the rights to the name.

Gabriel
Gabriel Pottery is nearly synonymous with Winfield Pottery. Margaret M. Gabriel ran Winfield for about five years, from 1941 to 1946, when the Winfield shapes were licensed to American Ceramic Products and that company took on the Winfield name. Margaret's company used the name Gabriel.

Gibson Overseas
Gibson Overseas is a family-owned company that has been in business since 1979. It is located in Alhambra, California.

Gorham Company
The Gorham Company was started in 1831 and began producing fine china in 1970 when they took over the Flintridge China Company. They continued producing many of the patterns initiated by Flintridgebut used their won backstamp. They discontinued producing china in 1984 and began importing it.

H. F. Coors
The H. F. Coors Company which was located in Inglewood, California, is now located in Tucson, Arizona. The company produces a wide assortment of ceramic productions, including a line of hotel/restaurant ware called "Alox".

Haeger
Haeger Potteries, Inc. is an Illinois pottery company with plants in Macomb and Dundee. It has been in business since 1871 and is perhaps best know for its vases, bowls and decorative items. Pieces from this company are gaining in popularity.

Hall China
The Hall China Company is located in East Liverpool, Ohio. It has been in business since founded on August 14, 1903. Dinnerware production has been sporatic, however. The company produced dinnerware from 1908 to 1911 and then stopped until 1936. The company is probably most well-known for producing the Jewel Tea Autumn Leaf pattern.

Harkerware/Harker Pottery
Harker Pottery was an Ohio based pottery company. The Harker Pottery name began around 1857 and was operated by George S. Harker. The company was in business until 1972. The company also produced dinnerware for the Sears and Roebuck Harmony House line.

Harmony House/Sears
Harmony House is not actually the name of a manufacturer but was a line of dinnerware sold by Sears & Roebuck. It was produced by various manufacturers including but not limited to Hall China, Homer Laughlin, Harker, Orchardware, Salem China, and Universal Potteries. I currently carry pieces from six patterns.

Haviland
Haviland China is synonymous with fine porcelain. Orignally began by David Haviland, the company was divided between his two surviving sons, Theodore and Charles Edward in 1879. Each took their own path but both produced high quality and highly collectible china. Charles' Company survived until the Stock Market Crash of 1929 but Theodore's legacy continued intil 1972.

Heath Ceramics, Inc.
Heath Ceramics, Inc., located in Sausalito, California started in 1947.

Heinrich
Heinrich is an old German procelain manufacturer founded in 1896 by Franz Heinrich in Selb Germany. The company is still in operation today and is a subsidiary of Villeroy & Boch.

Hollywood Ceramics
Hollywood Ceramics was located in Los Angeles, California. The company produced products for other pottery companies such as Maddux. I also believe they produced dinnerware for Metlox as their dinnerware pattern shown here is identical to the Metlox Autumn Bloom pattern.

Homer Laughlin China
The Homer Laughlin China Company began in 1897 in East Liverpool, Ohio, although Homer Laughlin himself had a few other pottery companies dating back to 1871. One of the company's more successful patterns was Fiesta which the company began producing in 1936, discontinued in 1973 and then reintroduced in 1986 with a greater variety of colors. During the 1970s Homer Laughlin dinnerware was a common promotional item in local supermarkets.

Hull Pottery
The Hull Pottery Company of Crooksville, Ohio was in business from 1905 to 1986. The company made a variety of items including jugs, bowls vases ashtrays and dinnerware to name a few. Hull vases are highly collectible.

Hyalyn
Hyalyn Porcelain began in Hickory, North Carolina in 1947. The pottery is known for its modernistic lines. Often the pieces are combined with other mediums such as rattan and wood.

Indiana/Colony Glass Company
The Indiana Glass Company began as part of the Ohio Flint Glass Company which was later sold to the National Glass Company. They officially became Indiana Glass Company in 1907. They produced a wide variety of glass items in a wide array of colors. The Indiana Carnival (Iridescent) is probably the most popular. In 1983 Lancaster Colony purchased the company. Lancaster Colony closed the factory in 2002.

Iroquois China Company
The Iroquois China Company was started in Syracuse, NY in 1905. The company continued in business until 1969. Most collectable are the "Casual China" designed by Russel Wright and the "Impromptu" and "Informal" lines designed by Ben Seibel. I have pieces from three of the Iroquois patterns.

JKW (Josef Kuba Werkstatte)
Josef Kuba opend his first porcelain factory in 1930 in the Czech Republic. After World War II, he relocated to Wiesau, West Germany.

Jepcor International
Jepcor International is a Korean based dinnerware manufacturer.

Johann Haviland
While the Haviland name in porcelain is closely associated with Limoges, France, the Johann Haviland Company began in Bavaria in 1907, specifically Waldershof, Germany. The company was sold in 1924.

John B. Taylor
The John B. Taylor name is synonymous with Louisville Stoneware which was owned by John from 1938 to 1970. The company was found in Louisville, KY in 1815 and is one the few U.S. pottery companies that has survived for so long. It is still in business!

Johnson Brothers
Johnson Brothers China began in the late 1800s in Hanley, Stoke on the Trent, England. The company flourished and eventually had five manufacturing facilities. It is now a division of Waterford Wedgwood of Josiah Wedgwood & Ltd. I believe the company produces/produced some of the English Franciscan China.

Joni China
I haven't found much writtern about Joni and few patterns were produced. Joni China (especially the Dixie Dogwood pattern) is often mistaken for either Stetson China or Blue Ridge. It was one of the many American companies that produced hand-painted dinnerware.

Kaysons
Kaysons is a Japanese porcelain company.

La Mode
La Mode is a U.S. china company that we know absolutely nothing about. This orange floral patern is the only pattern we have seen by this company.

Lamberton
Lamberton Works began in 1869 in Trenton, New Jersey. The company was sold several times and eventually the name died out in the 1990s.

Lane and Company/Sunkist Creations of California
Lane and Company/Sunkist Creations of California was located in Van Nuys. They produced lamps, vases and various serving items. These items were most popular in the 1950s. Their pieces are sentimental favorites.

Laurel Potteries of California
Laurel Potteries began around 1940 and was one of the first of the great California potteries to go out of business. That was in the 1960s. They had offices in San Francisco and Stockton, California. The company was known for its speckeled patterns such as California Living, Holiday and Seaside. The dinnerware reached its popularity in the 1950s. The look of the dinnerware is somewhat similar to that of Bauer.

Lenox China Company
Lenox, Inc. has been around since 1894 and is still going strong. The company is located in Trenton, New Jersey. I now have pieces from over seventy-four different patterns. Over 25 are from the Temperware line as well as a few from the "For the Blue/Grey/Beige" series. I just got in some very nice pieces of the Golden Wreath pattern. I also offer pieces of their specialty dinnerware.

Limoges Castel
Limoges Castel was a short-lived manufacturer from about 1944 to sometime around the late 1970s. The majority of their pieces were not hand painted but used transfers.

Louisville Stoneware
The Louisville Stoneware Company was founded in 1971 when John B. Taylor's building, molds etc. were purchased by John and Vivian Robertson.

Luminarc Arcoroc
Luminarc and Arcoroc are two of the brand names of ARC International (Arcopal, Cris d'Arques and Mikasa are three others). Most of their glassware is produced in a plant in Millville, New Jersey (the Durand Glass Manufacturing Company).

Marcrest
Marcrest is the name given to dinnerware that was manufactured for the Marshall Burns Company in Chicago, Illinois. Many different companies produced the dinnerware, among those is Western Stoneware Company. I believe that Stetson may have also produced for Marcrest since Stetson has the same pattern as the Marcrest Pink N' Charcoal .

Maxam
I don't know anything about Maxam other than they are an Italian dinnerware manufacturer.

McCoy
I carry a few items from the Nelson McCoy Pottery company of Roseville, Ohio. This firm began in 1910 and continued until 1986. The company is well-known for its cookie jars and vases which are highly collectable. I just found some hard-to-find Canyon dinnerware pieces.

Metlox
Metlox Pottery began in 1927 in Manhattan Beach, California and grew to become one of California's premier pottery companies. There were two divisions within Metlox, the Poppytrail Division and the Vernonware Division (due to Metlox's purchase of Vernon Kilns in 1942). I carry over 70 patterns/color variations of Metlox. The Vernonware Division is listed separately (another sixty-five patterns). Like so many othr California pottery companies, Metlox succumbed to the influx of lower priced Japanese competition and closed in 1989.

Midwinter LTD
Midwinter LTD is an English firm. I haven't quite figured out the association between Wedgwood Stonehenge Midwinter and Midwinter LTD but they are somehow connected since many of their patterns are the same. Look under "Midwinter Stonehenge" for their Midwinter patterns.

Midwinter Stonehenge
Midwinter Stonehenge Pottery is a member of the Wedgwood China Group. The Stonehenge dinnerware has an earthy, rustic look to it. I currently have pieces from sixteen of the Stonehenge patterns.

Mikasa
Mikasa, Inc. was found in 1948 by George Aratani. The company originated in California but its headquarters are now located in Secaucus, New Jersey. They are a dinner and glassware importer and distributor. I suspect their glassware is produced by the Durand Glass manufacturing Company in Millville, New Jersey as Durand and Mikasa are both part of ARC International based in France.

Minton
Minton China, named for its founder, Thomas Minton, was established in or around 1793 in Stoke-on-the-Trent, England. The company still produces some of the finest English China.

Miramar Pottery
The Miramar Pottery Company was located in Los Angeles, California. They began operations in 1952 and ceased to exist some time in the late 1970s.

Monterey Art Pottery Company
The Monterey Art Pottery Company is yet another California Pottery manufacturer. The company was founded around 1948 and is no longer in business. It is rumored that the pottery was actually produced by either Metlox or Vernonware. The jury is still out.

Myott
Myott/Myott Meakin is another dinnerware manufacturer located in the Staffordshire area of England.

Neiman Marcus
Just in case you've been out of touch, Neiman Marcus is one of the leading high-end retail stores. It was established in 1907 and has its headquarters in Dallas, Texas.

Noritake China
Noritake is probably the most well-known of the the Japanese china companies. The company was founded by Baron Ichizaemon Morimura and was named after the village where the factory was built, Noritake, Japan. I can't begin to carry all the patterns but I do have various pieces from thirty-six patterns including a variety of the Progression series.

Oneida
Oneida can trace its roots back to 1848 when John Humphrey Noyes found the Oneida Community located in upstate New York. The company earned its reputation for making fine silverware. In 1881, Oneida Community, Ltd was established. In the 1970s the company began to concentrate on stainless steel flatware and around 1983 it further diversified into dinnerware with the purchase of Buffalo China. It currently has facilities in the United States, Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom and Australia.

Orchard Ware/Hollywood Ware
Orchard Ware and Hollywood Ware are lines of pottery produced by the California Ceramics Co., Calabasas, Calif. Some patterns look very much like the hand-painted dinnerware produced by Franciscan. The surface of the ware is raised and there is that same polished-glaze look to it.

Pacific Clay Products Company
Pacific clay Products Company was established in 1881 and located in Los Angeles, California. The facility closed some time in the late 1940s.

Paden City Pottery
Paden City Pottery began in 1914 in Paden City, West Virginia. The company specialized in dinnerware. Unfortunately, it didn't last as long as so many of the other American pottery companies, closing up in 1963.

Padre
Padre Pottery was located in the Los Angeles area of California in the late 1940s/early 1950s.

Pfaltzgraff
The Pfaltzgraff Pottery Company is located in York Pennsyvania. It has been in operation since 1811 and is still going strong. Although they produced hundreds of patterns over the years, I have pieces from their Village, Winterwood and Yorktowne patterns. The company was acquired by Lifetime Brands In July of 2005.

Pope Gosser
Pope Gosser China Company was established in 1902 and was located in Coshocton, Ohio. Production of their fine china ceased in 1958. I haven't come across too many of their patterns (I have three).

Pyrex
Pyrex is a division of the Corning Company which produces a heat-resistant, tempered glassware. Many of the Pyrex designs complement the Corning bakeware and Corelle dinnerware patterns. I primarily concentrate on the kitchenware items (check out the beautiful Snowflake Blue Cinderella bowl set) but do have a few dinnerware patterns - mainly the Spring Blossom pattern.

Queens
Queens china was actually produced by Churchill of England.

Red Wing
Red Wing Pottery got its name from its location, Red Wing, Minnesota. Founded in 1861, the company began producing dinnerware in 1935 and continued until closing in 1967. Bob White is probably their most recognizable pattern and has some very unusual and charming shapes.

Retsch & Company
Retsch & Company is located in Wunsiedel, Bavaria, Germany. Depending on who you believe, the company was established in either 1854, 1884 or 1885 and is still in business.

Rosenthal Continental
Rosenthal Continental is a German china company located in the Selb-Bavaria region.

Royal Albert
England is known for its fine bone china and one of its best producers is Royal Albert. The company was founded about 1894 and is still producing fine china today as part of the Royal Doulton Group which acquired it in 1972.

Royal China
The Royal China Company was founded in 1934 in Sebring, Ohio. Over the years ownership changed several times. It was once owned by the Jeannette Corporation. The company went bankrupt in 1986. The Country Harvest recipe pie plates continue to be very popular.

Royal Crown Derby
Royal Crown Derby Porcelain Company is located in Derby, England. It was founded in 1750 and is still in business today.

Royal Doulton
Royal Doulton is an English china company which began as "Doulton and Company" (founded in 1853). The company now owns several other manufacturing companies, such as Minton, Royal Albert, Paragon and others. I carry pieces from twenty-seven of their patterns.

Royal Jackson (Vogue Ceramic Industries)
Despite its "Royal" name, Royal Jackson (aka Vogue Ceramic Industries) began in 1917 in Falls Creek, PA.

Royal Patrician
Royal Patrician is an English firm that, like Royal Windsor and Royal Albert, produces "fine English teaware". However, that being said, they are a division of Herman Dodge & Sons, Inc. which sells their Crown Collection which is made in Staffordshire, England and a Dynasty Collection which is produced somewhere in Asia.

Royal Stafford
Royal Stafford is a fairly new company that was formed from two other English potteries, Royal Stafford China and Barratts of Staffs.

Royal Staffordshire
The Royal Staffordshire company is one of many china companies located in "The Potteries" area of Stoke-on-the-Trent, England.

Royal Windsor
I believe Royal Windsor is one of the china manufacturers from the Stafforshire region of England. I haven't been successful in finding out much about the company.

Royal Worcester
The Royal Worcester Royal Porcelain Company of England was founded in 1754. The company is noted for its fine porcelain and bone china. I carry an assortment of their egg coddlers and a few pieces from the Astley, Evesham, Strawberry Fair, Belvoir, Lavinia and Woodbury patterns.

Salem
The Salem China Company was named after it birthplace, Salem, Ohio. The company was founded around 1898. It has produced dinnerware under its own name as well as the Sears and Roebuck Harmony House label.

Sango China
Sango made hundreds of patterns but we gravitate towards the exotic. So far I know they produce dinnerware in Japan and Korea. I gravitate towards their more exotic patterns and have pieces of Black Lilies, Zuni, Kenya and Anastasia.

Santa Anita
Santa Anita Pottery began around 1939 in Los Angeles, California and ceased operations sometime in the late 1950s/early 1960s. I have pieces from eight of their patterns. For some reason, this manufacturer is harder to find.

Scio Pottery
The Scio Pottery Company was aptly named after its hometown of Scio, Ohio. It began operations in 1932 and ceased manufacturing in 1985. Very few items have any backstamps other than USA. For that reason, I don't carry many patterns.

Seltmann
Seltmann is a Bavarian porcelain company founded in 1910 by Christian Seltmann originally located in Weiden, Germany.

Sheffield
Sheffield Pottery began in 1946 in Sheffield, Ma. The company produced pottery until 1982 when it then changed directions and became a ceramics supply company rather than a producer.

Shenango China Company
Shenango China Company was stared in New Castle, Pennsylvania on or about 1902. It was soon renamed Shenango Pottery Company. It's ownership has transferred numerous times. Castleton China was also produced by Shenango.

Spode
Spode is one of the better known, high-quality china producers of England. The company has roots going back to the 1700s when Josiah Spode began developing his fine bone china. I have pieces from only six of their patterns.

Staffordshire
Staffordshire is an English manufacturer of dinnerware.

Stangl
Stangl Pottery was begun by J. Martin Stangl around 1930 when he bought the Fulper Pottery Company in New Jersey. However, the company name did not change until 1955 when it actually became Stangl Pottery. Stangl Pottery was purchased by Pfaltzgraff in 1978 and the Stangl lines ceased.

Sterling China
Sterling China began in Sebring,Ohio in 1917. The company produced china for hotels, the military, restaurants, etc.

Stetson China Company
The Stetson China Company was in 1946 in Lincoln Illinois and continued until 1966. Their hand-painted dinnerware is very similar to that of Blue Ridge and is often confused with it. Neither company marked all of their pieces.

Steubenville Pottery Company
The Steubenville Pottery Company was founded in 1879 and named after its location, Steubenville, Ohio. When the company closed in 1959, all its molds were bought by Canonsburg Pottery. Older pieces are the most collectible.

Stouffer China
I no nothing about this company other than they made beautiful and unique china.

Syracuse China Company
What began as Empire Pottery, transitioned to Onodaga Pottery Company and then to Syracuse China Company. The company has been in business since 1841. It is one of the largest producers of commercial (hotel and restaurant) dinnerware (It's parent company is Libbey Inc.)

Tamac
Tamac Pottery was located in Perry, Oklahoma. The company started in the mid 1940s and ran until 1973. They were known for making dinnerware, teapots, vases and ashtrays in a somewhat "freeform" style.

Taylor, Smith & Taylor
The Taylor, Smith and Taylor Company began in Chester, West Virginia around 1900. The mark of Taylor, Smith and Taylor was discontinued in 1973 when Anchor Hocking bought out the company. I only carry a few of the T,S&T patterns.

Technical Porcelain and Chinaware Company (TEPCO)
TEPCO was located in El Cerrito, California and was in business from 1922 until the mid l970s. They specialized in hotel and restaurant dinnerware. TEPCO pottery is very popular today, especially the patterned pieces. The dinnerware is very durable.

The Rocky Mountain Pottery Company
The Rocky Mountain Pottery Company was founded in Loveland Colorando in 1952. It produces various decorative items of pottery which mostly feature pinecone or wheat motifs.

Theodore Haviland
A member of the renowned Haviland family, Theodore Haviland began his production in Limoges, France. Sometime around 1942 a factory was opened in Pennslyvania, USA.

Tirschenreuth
Not only is Tirschenreuth the name of a district in Germany but evidently there is, or was, a porcelain manufacturing company by the same name. I have not had the time to research much about the company as yet.

Tissot
Felix Tissot, originally from France, began his ceramic work at Leona Valley (Palmdale), CA with his Desert Gemstone Cereamics. In 1956 he moved to Taxco, Mexico but still produced ceramics and incorporated native indian scenes.

Treasure Craft or Pottery Craft
Treasure Craft of California (also known as Pottery Craft) is located in Compton, California. They produce a variety of items including cookie jars, ashtrays and souvenir pieces. They produced a chip and dip similar to Whittier's and Metlox's only Treasure Craft made it in brown as well as white. For a time, there was a plant located in Maui, Hawaii. We recently learned that the company will no longer be manufacturing pottery.

UCAGCO
UCAGCO (United China and Glass Company) was a distributor of glass and china. Pieces predominately came from Japan; however, the glassware I have says Portugal on the label.

Universal Potteries, Inc.
Universal Potteries, Inc. was located in Cambridge, Ohio. They began in 1934 and terminated production in 1976.

Unknown Dinnerware
Try as I might, I cannot always identify some manufacturers or patterns. Such is the case with those listed here. I welcome any help in identification.

Veritable Porcelaine D-Art
Veritable Porcelaine D-Art is a Limoges, France manufacturer.

Vernonware
Vernonware began with Poxon China in 1916, located in Vernon, California. Later, in 1928, it became Vernon Potteries or Vernon Kilns. The company was bought out by Metlox in 1958 and became a division of Metlox. I have pieces from 65 different patterns including some of the hard-to-find patterns such as Winchester 73 and the souveneir specialty plates of various landmarks, California missions, cities and states. The Vernon line died when Metlox closed its doors in 1989.

Villeroy & Boch
Villeroy & Boch is a German company that can trace its beginnings back to 1748 when Francois Boch first began producing dinnerware.

W. H. Grindley
W. H. Grindley is an English china producer from the Staffordshire area. The company was founded sometime in the late 1800s and continued in business until 1991.

W. S. George
W. S. (William Shaw) George Pottery Company had at least three different locations: Canonsburg, PA, Kittanning, PA and East Palestine, OH. The company began in the early 1900s and continued until some time around the late 1950s.

Wallace China Compay
The Wallace China Company was located in Vernon, California from 1931 to 1964. They specialized in hotel and restaurant china and were eventually bought out by Shenango China Company.

Watt Pottery
Watt Pottery was a family owned company that began in Perry County, Ohio and moved to Crooksville, Ohio in 1922. The earlier decorated pieces have a "folk Art" look to them and were hand painted. The company was in business until 1965.

Wedgwood China
Wedgwood is an English firm dating back to the 1800s. I have a pieces from seventeen of their patterns. Items from the Midwinter Stonehenge lines are listed separately.

Weil Ware/California Figurine Company
California Figurine Company aka Weil Ware was founded by Max Weil some time in the 1930s. The company was located in Los Angeles, California and existed until the mid 1950s.

Western Stoneware Company
The Western Stoneware Company of Monmouth, Illinois, was born of a merger of seven smaller pottery companies. The Illinois clay that was used in production proved to be conventional and radar oven heat-resistant making it ideal for use in ovens.

William Guerin of Limoges
William Guerin started his porcelain factory in France in 1872. In 1921 the factory was bought out by Bawo & Dotter Ltd. and became Guerin Pouyat Elite. The factory was closed in 1932.

Winfield Pottery/China Company
Winfield Pottery was founded in 1929 and continued in production until 1962. The company began in Pasadena, California but moved to Santa Monica in 1946. After 1946, Winfield sold some of their rights to the American Ceramics Company so they began to mark their pottery with the name "Gabriel". Gabriel pieces are harder to find and identify but some of their patterns are identical to Winfield's. I carry pieces from eleven know pattersn and several unidentified patterns of the Winfield pottery.

Wood & Sons
Wood & Sons is an English firm that has roots back to 1865 although the firm name wasn't fully established in 1910.

About Hill
House Wares Contact
Information Ordering
Information Return
Policy

Last updated Mon Apr 13 14:26:37 PDT 2009

If you have question covering other makers, use this list of link over and over again!
This is the active link that will allow you to click on the "Tissot's Link:

www.hillhousewares.com/category0.html
On the mark Martin.

RSS

Pin on Pinterest

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

© 2014   Created by C. Dianne Zweig and Scott Liscomb

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service