On Facebook -JOIN I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles.
Here is the link for the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/
Please join our FB group where YOU can post directly.

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Okay, so the Thrift Store by my house has this sweet chair that just came in.  It reminds me of Eastlake, Arts and Crafts, etc.  I am wondering if anyone can help me really pin this down and identify it...so I ca know if it is worth buying...even though I have NO space for it...  :)

Views: 58

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

For $29.99 I'd buy that instantly!

The chair back and seat are done in woven splint, not cane or wicker. The splint is machine made which dates it to post (after) 1880s-new.  Splint is cut from ash trees, the outer wood just beneath the bark. Prior to 1880s it was hand cut and widths and thickness varied in size. Yours are same size which indicates precise (machine) cutting.

The only word I can make out is the large one in the center which reads "CHAIR"... The "O" above it could stand for Ohio which was commonly abbreviated as such. And Ohio was well known for chair manufacturing and splint use.

The arm-rests are shorter than normal. That style was from 1700s-1800s,  but your chair is newer. The upper portion (back rest) doesn't match the lower part which is ring turned.

The back pattern is "herringbone" whereas the seat is standard weaving.

Maybe you can find some similar chairs and determine age and value.

Thanks, Tom...

I know it is a very fair price, regardless, but I actually have NO room to display it with any dignity, so I figured I could just learn about it (and perhaps talk myself into it,) anyway.  I noticed that they used dowels throughout, no metal hardware.  I could not discern that stamp for anything, except CHAIR, myself.  I thought it was pretty unique with its short arms and all.

Notice the upright seat supports and the arm rest supports are ring-turned (turned on a lathe) but the back supports are straight edged (not turned).  Usually they are all the same style. Your rocker is unique. Not one-of-a-kind, but definitely different. In searching I found that similar chairs made in India during the British Occupation (1847 to 1952) have the same mix. This might explain the shortened arm rests, possibly shortened to accommodate an officer's sword and holstered revolver.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2019   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service