On Facebook -JOIN I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles.
Here is the link for the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/
Please join our FB group where YOU can post directly.

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

"Why teapots? Why not other standard ceramic forms - vases, platters, pitchers or bowls? In part it’s because teapots are multidimensional objects steeped in world culture and ceramic history. Also, the form makes its stand at the intersection of the art versus craft debate, probing limits in both directions, at times simultaneously.

Collect Teapots

Collecting teapots can be a very satisfying hobby that will take you across many eras of history, through many different designs and shapes. While no single article could ever hope to cover the breadth of what is involved in collecting an item, this article provides you with a brief overview of the things to consider when you want to get started in collecting teapots, so that you can begin your collection in an informed and directed way."

From article: How to Collect Teapots

Step 1

Get inspiration. Before you start collecting, it is important to know what you like about teapots. Check out collections and styles of teapots held or owned by other people that you know and try to see some exhibitions if possible. Here are some good resources to get your research started:

• Museums - especially museums concerned with design, with household items, with the way people used to live. Look out for teapot exhibitions, which are held regularly in different parts of the world. Even if you can't make one in another country, you might be able to browse some of the collection online through the museum or exhibitor's site.
  • Books and magazines - look in antique and collectibles resources in the library, ditto for magazines.
  • Antique and collectibles stores - browse around; you will be amazed at what you will find; and don't forget opportunity shops (charity stores) either - they will often have teapots.
  • Friends and family - look at the items kept by people you know. Ask them questions about where they bought the teapot, why they bought it, how they feel about it, etc. It all goes towards informing you about how you will approach collecting teapots.

Views: 7096

Replies to This Discussion

Has anyone ever found a "priceless" tea pot in a second hand store?

Antique Teapot Picture Gallery

By Barbara Crews, About.com Guide

Teapots found at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. Unfortunately the light was not the best for taking pictures as flash is not permitted.

These antique teapot pictures are examples of the varied collection at the museum. Two vases are included from the Sevres collection. They are nice examples of soft-paste porcelain.

Images 1-8 of 8
Teapot, Rock Crystal with Gold Silver Gilt Tea Kettle Meissen Teapot -- 1726 Meissen Teapot
Hard-paste Teapot -- 1725 Hard-Paste Teapot -- 1740 Sevres Soft-paste Porcelain Vase Sevres Potpourri Vase

Displaying the Teapots

"Using a collectible teapot as part of a theme tea is a great way to show it off. If you are having a theme tea party, a Valentine's Day tea for example, it is fun to use a cupid teapot, or one shaped like a heart.

When not in use teapots are a great decorating item, bringing masses of color wherever they are placed. Sitting atop the kitchen cabinets, these teapots can bring vibrant color and whimsy to nearly any style kitchen. With glass front cabinets, the teapots can be enjoyed while they are safely tucked away. Whether they are used often or displayed, these fascinating teapots are fun collectibles that can be enjoyed by anyone.

Using a collectible teapot as part of a theme tea is a great way to show it off. If you are having a theme tea party, a Valentine's Day tea for example, it is fun to use a cupid teapot, or one shaped like a heart.

When not in use teapots are a great decorating item, bringing masses of color wherever they are placed. Sitting atop the kitchen cabinets, these teapots can bring vibrant color and whimsy to nearly any style kitchen. With glass front cabinets, the teapots can be enjoyed while they are safely tucked away. Whether they are used often or displayed, these fascinating teapots are fun collectibles that can be enjoyed by anyone."

by Antiques-Love to Know

This tea pot was featured on 'What's it Worth? PriceMyItem.com. Wonder what price they put on it?? The owner said, "Thank you for your quick reply. I am really shocked at the price. I knew many people here wanted it, but probably figured I didn't know what I had and they wanted to buy it for nothing. I am glad I held on to it. Thanks again!"
- Ann N

Antique Transferware English Porcelain Tea Pot

Oh my! This is stunning!

Dream Time

Oh my! Look at this beautiful Christmas Tea Pot!!

Evergreen Holiday Tea Pot

Let's add a Thanksgiving tea pot to our collection!!

Norcrest Teapot and Creamer

I absolutely LOVE this Tea Set!

Victorian Tea Set

The most gorgeous porcelain tea pot collection! Love the touches of lace too...

Pinterest

This porcelain Tea Pot and set in lustre blue...just takes my breath away!

Lady M Vintage High Tea

"Luptak’s collection started innocently enough, at least five years ago, she recalls. That’s when her daughter bought Luptak her first teapot." Read Marie's story HERE...you may relate! :)

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2021   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service